With only a few hours from the heart of New York City and less than two hours from Boston, Maine is a fantastic, quick getaway from all the chaos of the city! This is a brief overview of not only the most amazing seafood that Maine and the New England area has to offer, but also, the most scenic wildlife, beaches and trails to hike at one of the most beautiful national parks.
Did Somebody Say Blueberries?
Food in the state of Maine is focused mainly on seafood, chowder and bisque, but to my great surprise, it’s all about the blueberries! – blueberry pies, blueberry jams, blueberry ice cream, blueberry pancakes, blueberry everything! The reason for blueberries is that at one point in history, there was an over growth of wild blueberries in the area. The solution was to simply cook and eat all of them!
Speaking of eating, let’s talk about lobster. The lobsters are large (up to 3 lbs in some restaurants) and in charge, but if you have a large appetite, you may need to order the lobster dinner, complete with clam chowder (or lobster bisque), potatoes, corn, mussels, and blueberry pie.
Let’s get into the real beauty of Maine and the New England area – the many national parks and wildlife. There is more wildlife than humans in the upper northeast for a number of reasons including the harsh winters and that they are protected by the U.S. government.
Acadia national park can be compared to that of Yosemite national park in the West and Yellowstone national park in the North. Its vastness and views are breathtaking! There is a little bit of something for everyone to do such as sunbathing or if you so dare, jump in the ice cold, glacier waters of Sand Beach. And if you are feeling a bit more energetic and nimble, you can also take a more rigorous, rocky hike on Beehive trail.
Where to Stay, Eat and Entertain
Here are some recommendations:
By the Beach
- The Holy Donut – Made from potatoes!
- What to order:
- Vanilla Glazed (your plain glazed donut!)
- Maine Apple Cider
- Sweet Potato Coffee Cake
- Lobster Roll with New England Clam Chowder @ Portland Lobster Co.
- Boone’s Fish House & Oyster for the main event – Lobster!
- What to order:
- Lobster Dinner (choose from 1 1/4lbs, 1 1/2lbs, 1 3/4lbs, 2lbs)
- Lobster Bisque and/or New England Clam Chowder
- Shrimp Scampi
- Fisherman’s Wharf for shopping
Bar Harbor, Maine
- Harborside Hotel, Spa & Marina
- Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
- Primrose Inn – Bed & Breakfast
- Acadia Hotel Downtown
- Route 66 Restaurant
- Bar Harbor Lobster Co. (choose from 1 1/4lbs, 1 1/2lbs, 1 3/4lbs)
- Peekytoe Provisions
- Geddy’s – seafood, pizza, burgers
- Thurston’s Lobster Pound in Bernard, Maine
- Stewman’s Lobster Pound (choose from 1 1/4lbs, 2lbs, 3lbs)
- The Barnacle – Oyster Bar
- Havana – Latin & American Food
- Mount Desert Island Ice Cream
- CJ’s Big Dipper
- Ben & Bill’s Chocolate Emporium
- Whale watching from Bar Harbor Whale Watch Co.
- Hike at the Beehive Trail in Acadia National Park ($30 parking pass fee good for 7 days!)
- Sunbathe at Sand Beach
- Acadia Stand Up Paddle Boarding (SUP)
A True Getaway
Maine has so much to offer that you are going to need more than just one long weekend to truly feel satisfied! That’s a good thing!
If you would like to plan your next trip to Maine or anywhere else for that matter, click here or if you want to continue dreaming of your next vacation, download your free sample itinerary here!